EDUCATION & TRAININGS
Thomas Button is a professional expert of police practices and policies. With over 45 years of experience, education, and training, he began his formal law enforcement education in 1970 at Monroe Community College. He then attended the Erie County Municipal Police Academy in 1972 and followed that with the NYSP Basic Academy in 1973. Mr. Button attended the NYSP NCO School in 1979, NYSP Officers School in 1984, and in 1995 the NYSP sent him to the FBI National Academy. Mr. Button also attended several specialized schools at the NYSP Academy between 1973 and 1994.
In 1996 Mr. Button graduated from the New England Community Policing Crime Prevention Symposium program. He obtained a Bachelor of Science in Management in 1992. In 1999 he graduated from the New England Institute of Law Enforcement Management program at Babson College. He obtained his second Bachelor of Science in 2000 with a degree in Criminal Justice. That same year, Mr. Button also completed the Massachusetts Police Leadership Institute program. Furthering his education, he received a Master of Science in Criminal Justice Administration in 2001 from Western New England University.
Along the way Mr. Button has completed programs such as “How to Administer a Police Agency” with the International Chiefs of Police, “Community Policing” with the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police/Municipal Police Institute, “Accreditation/Assessor Training” with the Massachusetts Police Accreditation Commission, “Accreditation/Assessor and Manager Training” with the Florida Police Accreditation, and “Commission, Leadership, Problem Solving, and Decision Making in Law Enforcement” with the FBI Academy.
His education with the New York State Police department includes Basic Police Academy, Non-Commissioned Officer School, Officer School, Executive Development School, Instructor Development School, Internal Affairs Investigations, Emergency Management Executive Development School, and many others.
Post Graduate Studies
Criminal Justice – Continuous and Ongoing
Master of Science
Criminal Justice Administration, Western New England University.
Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Science
FBI National Academy
Criminal Justice- Graduate
Massachusetts Police Leadership Institute
New England Institute of Law Enforcement Management/Babson College
New England Community Policing Crime Prevention Symposium
International Chiefs of Police
How to Administer a Police Agency; Quality Policing, and Leadership, Employee Misconduct & Internal Affairs- Graduate
Massachusetts Chiefs of Police/Municipal Police Institute
Community Policing; Policies and Procedures; Discipline; Managing Generation X; Internal Affairs Investigations; Recruiting, Hiring and Promotion – Graduate
ICS, NIMS- Graduate
Massachusetts Police Accreditation Commission
Accreditation, Assessor Training; Utilized as an Assessor for several Accreditation Assessments and named a Lead Assessor- Graduate
Florida Police Accreditation Commission
Accreditation Assessor and Manager Training – Graduate
Leadership, Problem Solving and Decision Making in Law Enforcement – Graduate
New York State Police
Basic Police Academy, Non-Commissioned Officer School, Officer School, Executive Development School, Instructor Development School, Internal Affairs Investigations, Emergency Management Executive Development School, many others!
- George Hanna Award for Bravery – 2002, Massachusetts Highest Police Award For Apprehension of 2 violent Felons with shots fired
- Medal for Meritorious Service – 2002, Connecticut’s Highest Police Award. For Apprehension of 2 violent Felons with shots fired.
- MA State Legislative Citations, 2 – House & Senate – 2001, for Outstanding Service as Police Chief of Sturbridge.
- MA State Legislative Citations, 2 – House & Senate – 2001, for being awarded the George Hanna Award for Bravery.
- MA State Legislative Citation – 1998, for Outstanding Service as Police Chief Athol.
- MA State Legislative Citation – 1997, for Developing State’s 1st Youth Citizen’s Police Academy.
- Certificate of Appreciation Executive Committee of the World University Games, 1993, for Exceptional Contribution to the 1992 World University Games.
- Over 100 commendations during 22 year career in New York State Police, including Superintendent’s Commendations
- Town of Albion Commendation- Apprehending 2 Burglars in progress.
- Town of Albion Commendation – Saving young boy who had fallen in canal.
- NYSP Retired Members
- NYSP PBA Retired
- MA Chiefs of Police Association/Retired
- IACP Associate/Retired
- FBI N/A Associates